A very old camera (by digital standards), that goes very cheap in the used market. Is it worth anything?
+ very cheap
+ can drive AF (screw) lenses
+ expendable (if it breaks, who cares)
- flash can't be used as a commander
- somewhat obsolete sensor (6MP), but still delivers good images
- no second dial, like most entry-level cameras anyway.
- people who want a backup camera and can't afford anything more expensive
- people who need the cheapest possible solution for AF (screw) lenses
- a gift for someone who would like to get into DSLR digital photography
- those who fret over megapixels. 6 are plenty for almost anything, in my opinion
- pro body backup. There are important features missing
- buyers who can afford to pay just a bit more for a camera
This camera, like all digital equipment, has lost its value almost entirely. It can be found on ebay used for about $150 or less. Is it worth that much? Well, kinda. It's not bad, but it's hard to justify preferring it over, say, a D70(s), which is much richer in features.If you can afford to stretch your budget just a bit more, a D80 is a much better solution, and a D90 is a significantly better one, still.