Spectacularly sharp and contrasty tele lens, for specific people and specific needs
+ not too large for a fast tele (bit heavy though)
+ superb image quality, no flaws really. Even wide-open
+ built like a tank
- not for a general tele; only for specific missions
- no VR means tripod/monopod is a MUST
-180mm is a weird focal length - might be too short or too long (or, hopefully just right)
|Sharpness and Contrast: Even wide-open, the 180mm f/2.8 is a stellar performer|
|The 180mm f2/.8 in its element: Freezing action in very low light|
- Those needing the best and only the best image quality in a tele, no compromises thank you.
- For fast-action events whose distance can be predicted before hand (e.g. race-car events, horse-riding, etc)
- outdoor portraits
- general purpose, not even tele- general purpose; too short for birds (unless perhaps ducks in parks)
- indoors, unless in big halls
- people who can't/won't use a tripod/monopod. This is an unforgiving lens, it's either support or shutter speed of 1/500 and faster.
Looking for a Nikkor AF 180mm f/2.8? Check here.